Summertime was one of my FAVORITE times of the year when I was younger. Growing up, I would anxiously await the end of the school year, marking the days off on the calendar until summer vacation started. Summer meant impromptu BBQs, sleeping in, spontaneous road trips, water parks, hours of reading and tons of time in the pool.
But now that I’m an adult, I find myself losing some of that childlike wonder about the season. Come June I’m dreading the summer heat more often than not and the only good thing I find about summer is the traffic in San Antonio isn’t quite as bad as the rest of the year.
I’m a huge fan of finding tiny, impactful, and easy ways to bring more beauty, joy, and magic to your everyday life. This year I’m committing to romanticizing my life this summer season and embracing my sun kissed summer self. Here are some ways I’m sprinkling in some whimsy, romance, and magic this season.
- Taking it outside. Whether it’s my coffee, my gratitude journaling, yoga, or a nice dinner—I’m taking everything I can outside this summer. I love a good al fresco dinner under twinkling fairy lights in the summer. Chef’s kiss.
- Adding all the color to my wardrobe. Summer is my opportunity to lean into some pops of vibrant colors like hot pink, sky blue, and lavender. I am going to lean into a lot of sundresses, platform sandals, and elegant kimonos.
- Adding smoothies to my morning routine. I love a good smoothie but don’t really get in the “mood” for one when it’s super cold outside—enter the perfect summertime breakfast! Bonus, summer is the best time to get fresh fruit at the local farmer’s market. One of my absolute favorite smoothies for the summer is a combination of watermelon, mint, protein powder, chia seeds and coconut water!
- Add fresh flowers. I’m a sucker for a $10 bouquet of flowers from Trader Joes. In fact, you can just take my money if it’s a beautiful bunch of summertime peonies or lilies! This summer don’t wait for someone else to buy you flowers—treat yourself!
- Hit up your local museums and art exhibitions. This is my secret weapon on hot summer days—grab a girlfriend and some coffee and go soak in some inspiration in a beautiful (air conditioned 😉) environment.
- Send sweet cards (or postcards!) to your friends. There’s something so fun and almost takes on a vintage vibe of sending postcards or little note cards out to your friends. It’s a great way to send a little love to your friends—and who doesn’t secretly get excited to get personalized mail??
- Tuck a flower in your hair.
- Grab a great summer tote. I’m a sucker for a ratan bag or a stunning white bag in the summer.
- Add fruit to your water. The hot summer months are a great time to try out a yummy orange-blueberry basil infused water or my personal fav a cucumber-mint-jalapeno one!
- Do some mini home décor updates. One small project I want to tackle this summer is redecorating/organizing our nightstands. My nightstand tends to be a catch all for my jewelry I take off at the end of the night, 2-3 books I’m reading, random water bottles, and hand lotion but I want it to bring a more “hotel” vibe to it. I’m thinking a beautiful glass carafe for water, a gorgeous fern, and a pretty wicker basket to tuck away all the bits and baubles.
- Hang eucalyptus in your shower. I love a good spa day. In fact, I would live at the spa if I was given the opportunity but unfortunately sometimes that’s not always in the budget. Adding eucalyptus to your shower is a quick (and cheap!) way to bring the spa to your house with a calm, relaxing, zen vibe.
- Plan a patio date with your partner. I compiled a list of local restaurants that have an eclectic patio scene plus an awesome happy hour. We plan to try out a few a month on little “mini” dates where we can just grab some apps and a drink in a cool location.
- Adding a signature summer fragrance. My new fav which I have on repeat is the Brazilian Crush Cheirosa 62 Perfume by Sol de Janeiro. I love that I can layer it with the body lotion and the smell just reminds me of a warm tropical night.
Remember y’all……don’t save “special” for special occasions. Choose to make your life feel good every day, choose to find magic in the little things every day, and choose to find the “perfect” in the imperfect moments.